Poor print management results in wasteful printing and the use of out-dated or redundant devices can lead to increased running costs. Many organisations are reducing the complexity, cost and risk of operating an unmanaged print environment by adopting managed print services (MPS).
Working together, ASL and our customers have been looking at this subject and have carried out many print audits across varying networks with a view to better quantifying print volumes and associated costs.
Cost reduction has long been the primary objective for managed print services and to make real cost savings, companies need to have complete visibility on printing devices, volumes and overall costs. MPS addresses these processes in three main stages – the assessment, optimisation and ongoing management of the print environment:
Stage One – Assessment (print audit)
- report current print volumes
- record current print costs to include consumable costs
- include capital costs for equipment
- report colour usage as a percentage of overall print volume
- report location of devices and current models/manufacturers.
Stage Two – Optimisation
- reduce the installed base of desk top printers where appropriate
- introduce strategically placed MFP devices to include scanning and fax where applicable
- introduce follow me printing across the network of MFP devices
- introduce print monitoring and if necessary rules based printing using PaperCut.
Stage Three – Ongoing management
- report print volumes and trends
- monitor and report copying at MFP devices
- accounting of print and copy volumes into departmental codes
- budget allocation for colour usage
- pop up messaging for best printing practices
- force applications such as outlook to mono printing
- report colour usage and if necessary restrict
- automatic toner ordering, fault reporting and meter reading collection.
We believe that by working together toward a measured and sustainable installation, we will ultimately be able to achieve our mutual goal of a fully integrated, cost effective, managed print environment.
Find out more about MPS from ASL at https://asl-group.co.uk/managed-print-services/